Start a new topic
Answered

Why is the absorption less for men than women?

Why is the absorption less for men than women?

Best Answer

Answer: The observed sex differences in the curcumin absorption warrant further investigation. (Reasrechers aren't sure...)

However the research done does have some slight differences: 

1- Mean systolic blood pressure in men was slightly higher than normal range.

2- Men had a higher BMI, lower fasting serum HDL cholestoral concentrations as well as higher blood hemoglobin concentrations at the time of screening.

3- The excretion of curcumin was approximately two to three times higher in women than in men.

Further commentary from researchers about this difference is also provided:

"Women absorbed curcumin to a larger extent than men. This could be due to the reportedly higher expression and activity of the hepatic drug efflux transporter P-glycoprotein and some isoforms of the glucuronosyltransferases and sulfotransferases, enzymes involved in curcumin biotransformation, in men. However the differences in body weight, blood volume, and body fat, which ultimately lead to smaller volumes of distribution in women may also account for the observed differences"

We hope this provides some insight as to this question.

RevGenetics

Answer

Answer: The observed sex differences in the curcumin absorption warrant further investigation. (Reasrechers aren't sure...)

However the research done does have some slight differences: 

1- Mean systolic blood pressure in men was slightly higher than normal range.

2- Men had a higher BMI, lower fasting serum HDL cholestoral concentrations as well as higher blood hemoglobin concentrations at the time of screening.

3- The excretion of curcumin was approximately two to three times higher in women than in men.

Further commentary from researchers about this difference is also provided:

"Women absorbed curcumin to a larger extent than men. This could be due to the reportedly higher expression and activity of the hepatic drug efflux transporter P-glycoprotein and some isoforms of the glucuronosyltransferases and sulfotransferases, enzymes involved in curcumin biotransformation, in men. However the differences in body weight, blood volume, and body fat, which ultimately lead to smaller volumes of distribution in women may also account for the observed differences"

We hope this provides some insight as to this question.

RevGenetics

1 person likes this
I just want to inform that I get a lot of power work the C 60 is so good I can fell a lot younger with my daily dosage I will keep buying it until the day I died Thank you
Login or Signup to post a comment